Improving ROG!

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Enimonemo, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Veteran Art Contest Winner
    Enimonemo

Enimonemo Kinky

To start off, I want to say that I have been visiting RoG for quite a while now, and I figuredit would be a good idea to create a new thread where we can post ideas and suggestions on what we like or dislike about RoG and what we can learn from others.

I believe that RoG has the potential to be better, way better. So I will post some of the things I like about other sites and what we could learn from them.

The obvious one: The S site. It's fresh, always up to date and organized. The site always has a new theme according to what's new or exciting about League and it just makes the site less boring. It's subtle, but still visible enough and it isn't taking away attention from content. Having summer splash on the front page was anything but subtle and it was boring after a while. It seemed like nothing was happening. What we could do, is add some extra little details to the site for events. Even if it's as small as changing the logo a bit similarly to wowhead. Give it flavor!

[​IMG]
    As to being up to date, I enjoy being informed about the latest sale, PBE notes, Patch notes and even hot topics on the forums asap. It's a lot of extra work for a small benefit, but there is no result without effort.
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully spam bots will go, because the forums look like a shit hole as of right now and what I would like to see (still) are trending and hot topics. As for the front page, we could really use up less space for useless stuff and have more content out without the need of scrolling. Because let's be honest, one block of news is literally no more than 5 minutes of reading. Do we really have to have those 5 minutes of content shoved into our faces every time we look at the site?

And the new thing of the day is ???[​IMG]

See what I mean? You open the site, and you basically have no reason to get excited. It's the latest post, 2. aug., it's the 17th. Huge fact of the day. Who cares? Follow on twitter and a like on facebook is mandatory, with a wild post. I do not believe there is no room for improvement. Just a quick example of how much stuff you could fit on the screen.
    [​IMG]

Granted less is more sometimes, but RoG's current front page took minimalistic to a new level.

I really enjoy one of the hearthstone fansites weekly card design competition, because it's fun, takes little effort to organize and create stuff for it. Now for League content, designing an item is way more complex than designing a card, but if the site were to expand to HS, I can imagine a similar event being a thing, which then could also be made into something for every game. If we want weekly competitions they have to be interesting and mustn't take hours of effort. I don't want to waste 2 hours of my life creating something then just to have it ignored.
    Reddit has a daily rotation for particular threads which is a fantastic idea that we could implement in some RoG fashion.

Conclusion, stealing is not okay. Stealing and improving it is a viable path. Hopefully the community will give ideas as to what should and what could be improved!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  2. Veteran Content Creator Content Creator MS Paint Contest Winner
    Arcyvilk

Arcyvilk Resident Viktor psychofan

About the summer splash on the front page - I started making PBE patch notes, made the Ryze and Pool Party skins ones and then randomly lost access to Wordpress forever. This was the reason why this article hovered on front page for so long, no one granted with Wordpress access couldn't make any new articles anymore nor take it out. :c

The idea with featured threads is great, one of the reasons contests didn't work out in their previous iteration was because we lacked an option to sticky them and the only way to keep them visible was to bump them once in a while...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  3. Veteran Art Contest Winner
    Enimonemo

Enimonemo Kinky

1.- Fair enough, it's a new site, bugs are bound to happen.

2.- Contests here were all very time consuming ones. Writing takes forever, Art needs an idea, inspiration and realization also takes a quite some times etc.. Not to mention that we also had very few people actually creating content and those that were actually participating were just competing each week with one another. So it was bound to get tedious.

4. Veteran Art Contest Winner
    Enimonemo

Enimonemo Kinky

Bump for visibility

5. Veteran Content Creator
    ForceObscure

ForceObscure ファルソオブスクロ

IIRC a new backend is being developped (because Wordpress is trash).

6. Content Creator Content Creator
    Tiko

Tiko Don't Hurt Yourself

I would also like something next ''recent discussions''. And that would be ''New Topics''. I didnt even know this thread existed until i randomly found it.

7. Art Contest Winner
    Aenarel

Aenarel Caster Minion

The only thing I want is getting rid of the bots, RoG is the only forum I know of that is plagued by it. I'm sure you've already tried some things already but if other forums took care of it then RoG should also be able to (or I hope so).

Otherwise the rest is fine imo.

8. Veteran Art Contest Winner
    Enimonemo

Enimonemo Kinky

The one we have right now is absolute garbage. Besides being full of spam posts 90% of the time, it just shows recently bumped topics. I think it would be nice if we could get a track of HOT topics. Oh yeah, I also would like to have it on the front page.

9. Veteran Content Creator Content Creator MS Paint Contest Winner
    Arcyvilk

I agree that the news covers on the front page take too much space overwhelming the reader. Because of their size it's also harder to make them interesting and of decent quality enough. Previously they all looked the same and every, let's say, contest related news was like the same news all over again.

10. Veteran
    Angelo

Angelo Chain Warden

it feels dead again

11. Veteran Content Creator Content Creator MS Paint Contest Winner
    Arcyvilk

This is the worst problem. It kinda feels like deja vu from Cube World's case...

12. Staff Member Veteran Content Creator Content Creator
    Takuma

Takuma Tired Mod

I bought that game too :/

But yeah, we can only wait. And it's not elementz fault either